Thursday, March 22, 2012

Recruiting's Bad Rep

So, the following situation is something that I have seen happen with some frequency:
Recruiter approaches a group of acquaintances at a networking event and is introduced to those he does not know.  Part of the introduction is a reference to title/profession in which the reaction is “Oh…you’re one of those (rolling of eyes)…Recruiter then laughs it off and proceeds with pleasantries.  

Another situation: Recruiter is at a meeting and is networking.  Recruiter is introduced to an attendee  who then says “You’re a pimp?”

Could be taken as a joke, but REALLY?!?

People must have some supremely disheartening experiences with Recruiters to warrant such reactions.  There are folks out there that do not want to interact with recruiters at all!?!  Even when they’re interested in a company or potential opportunity – I would say that intrinsically makes the interview process more difficult.  Recruiters are not always welcome at professional events or groups on LinkedIn (no matter how relevant the group is; example: corporate alumni group).  Just because I go to an event, doesn’t mean that I automatically view you as “prey” or that I will relentlessly proposition you about working for my company.  Come on now!  Professional Recruiters are certainly smarter and more strategic than that.  We keep our eyes open, but generally conduct ourselves with a sense of decorum.

In my opinion, the actions of some have really put a bad taste in the mouths of many, which is really sad.  A great Recruiter is an advocate, a mediator, a champion for your cause, a counselor, and can help you progress in your career.  This is the fashion in which I and my teammates strive towards.  I know I am not perfect.  Sometimes things fall through the cracks, but I have good intentions. I like to “hunt”, but it’s not to thwart, take advantage or lead anyone astray.  For me, the thrill of the hunt is to find exceptional talent and to have them join a company that I passionately believe in.  As an organization, we understand that our employees are our greatest asset.  I want people to join our community and I want to hire “A” players whenever possible.  For me, it isn’t about hitting a number or filling a seat.  It’s about making a match and providing an opportunity! 

Obviously, there are some bad apples out there.  There are Recruiters that pay little attention to what they're doing – it’s just a numbers game for them.  I, personally, have received ridiculous messages from Recruiters in the past.  I have been offered opportunities to do .NET development.  Hmmm…I scratch my head with that one.  So, because I have .NET in my LinkedIn profile, that qualifies me to do .NET development?  That’s really interesting!  Hold yourself to a higher standard.  Try putting some effort into what you do.  Do a little research on your prospects.  Let’s work to rectify the reputation of this profession (reputation is *everything*).  Recruiting is challenging enough without the negative sentiment thrown our direction with such gusto.  I can tell you there are easier ways to make a living so be mindful of how you represent and “honor” what so many hardworking professionals do.  It would be wise to keep in mind that people take notice of how they are treated and people like to share their personal experiences (in many different ways J).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great article! Going to post this as a reminder.

I have to admit, I've been guilty of blasting people with irrelevant opportunities because something in their resume matched a keyword search... I can definitely stand to slow down a bit. (Probably even more so in the 3rd party agency world, but I don't know, maybe in your world too), we get so overwhelmed by the rapid pace things move at, and paranoid that someone is going to get to someone or something first, we end up fixing silly mistakes that hurt our reputation and cost us lots of time!